Pain in eyes can cause something like stinging, gritty sensation. In fact, the white part of your eye may appear red or pink, and also other symptoms may accompany the burning, like itching, puffiness, discharge, etc.
While different medications can calm stinging, like prescription and eye drops.
In these days it is difficult to protect the eye so try to follow regular cleaning to protect the eye from the strain.
Now, one question comes in mind how to cure eye strain. So guys if you are wishing for some home remedies for pain in eyes then you are on the right platform.
But, before discussing these natural home remedies, I would like to explain the causes and symptoms of eye pain. Because without knowing these conditions you won’t be able to take care of your eyes.
What causes Eye Pain?
- Conjunctivitis is one of the common eye problems. It can be an allergic, bacterial, viral inflammation of the conjunctiva.
- Basically, the pink eye is a nonmedical term usually referring to conjunctivitis which is caused by a respiratory virus because the conjunctiva gets inflamed and it turns a pinkish color. However, pain is usually mild with conjunctivitis. But itching, redness, and also drainage are typical signs and symptoms associated with conjunctivitis.
- Corneal ulcerations are also common conditions which cause eye pain. Basically, the cornea is the transparent area of your eyes. And, abrasions occur from the surface of the cornea, like trauma, a foreign body in the eye, or sometimes overuse of contact lenses.
- Sometimes foreign bodies produce eye pain similar to that of corneal abrasions.
- Chemical burns and flash burns are also one of the causes of eye pain. However, chemical burns come from eye exposure to acid substances, like household cleaners, bleach, etc.
- And, flash burns occur from intense light sources, like arc welding or the ultraviolet rays of tanning booths, etc, when improper eye protection is worn.
- Due to local irritation, a sty or a chalazion is also one of the causes of eye pain. However, either of these conditions causes a lump you can feel within the eyelid. The lump causes irritation in the eye that can be very painful to the touch and can occur in both children and adults.
- Iritis is an inflammation of the iris, or you can say colored part of the eye, that causes orbital pain, usually accompanied by blurred vision and also light sensitivity.
- Scleritis is a rare cause of eye pain and it is often associated with some systemic illness.
Symptoms of eye pain
Pain is a variable measure. However, each person may interpret different pain. So here we have collected some symptoms of eye pain below:
- Partial or complete loss of vision
- Extreme light sensitivity
- Double vision
- New floaters
- Limitations of normal eye movement
- The sensation of flashes or streaks of light
If your eyes are watering, red eyes or stress, then, protect your eyes from blindness with the help of some home remedies for pain in eyes.
Home Remedies For Eye Pain
Lots of people think that Is there any way to find relief from eye pain? Yes, there absolutely is. Not just one, but many easy, home remedies to give your eyes some rest.
Keep reading below to know more about each home remedies for eye pain and how to cure eye strain.
1. Cold Compress
You will need an ice pack for this remedy. Because the coldness of the ice pack will soothe all the irritation and eye pain and also reduce the burning sensation.
Apart from using an ice pack, there are so many alternate ways to apply a cold compress on your eye.
- You can use a frozen food item wrapped in a clean and soft cloth and place this over your eye.
- Also, dip a washcloth in cold water and place it on your eye.
- You can also place a metal spoon in the freezer for 2-3 minutes and then place this cold spoon over your eye.
- Place some used tea bag in the refrigerator for approx 5 minutes. Then place the cold tea bag on your eye.
- Also, you can use a green tea bag, black tea bag, a chamomile tea bag, or even rooibos tea bag for eye pain. The benefit of using a tea bag is that the antioxidants which are present in it can accelerate the healing process. However, they also have some anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling often seen in your eyes.
Cucumber is a known fact that it has a cooling effect on our body. It has also the same effect on your eyes as well. Because it soothes the eyes and also helps to heal any soreness or irritation.
However, if you have dark circles or puffy eyes, then cucumber slices will help to get rid of those issues as well.
You just need to take two slices of cucumber and cold water. Soak the cucumber in cold water and then place it on your eyes for approx 10-15 minutes.
You can repeat this when required to relief from any irritation or pain in eyes.
3. Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera is known to have healing properties. However, it has some relaxing effect which is helpful for your eyes because of its soothing properties.
Furthermore, it also contains antimicrobial compounds and antioxidants which can treat the causes of the eye pain.
You just need to take 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, 1-2 tablespoon of cold water and also 2 cotton rounds. Take aloe vera gel and dilute it with cold water.
Then soak cotton rounds in the mixture and apply on your eye. You can do this twice a day.
But use only fresh aloe vera gel because other varieties may contain additives which can irritate your eyes.
4. Castor oil
If you ever read all the ingredients list of your eye drops bottle, then you must have noticed that castor oil is a common ingredient which is found in maximum brands.
Also, it has some soothing effect on your eyes and can also help to reduce eye irritation with its anti-inflammatory properties.
However, its antimicrobial activity will help to get rid of the infection-causing agent in your eye.
Castor oil also helps to treat dry eyes, which is another common cause of eye pain. You just need pure castor oil and a dropper.
Drop a few castor oils in your eyes through a dropper and leave it overnight. You can repeat this every night.
Rose water is the best home remedy when it comes to relieving eye soreness and tiredness.
You will feel the cooling sensation almost immediately. You just need to take rosewater and cotton. Dip the cotton in the rose water and squeeze out the excess.
Now, place this on your closed eyes and leave it for approx 10-15 minutes. If you want the best result then use only child rosewater.
It will help you to get rid of the pain in eyes naturally and in an easy way.
Honey is basically known to possess antibacterial qualities and also helps to treat conjunctivitis and other eye pain or infections.
The warmth of the milk will helps to soothe the irritation and inflammation. You just need to take 1 tablespoon of warm milk, 2-3 drops honey and also a dropper.
Now you have to mix the honey with the milk and drop this mixture in your eye with the help of a dropper.
Now, keep your eyes closed for 2-3 minutes and then rinse your eye with clean water. You can repeat this process twice a day to get relief from pain in eyes.
7. Baking soda
This baking soda process helps in cleaning your eyes and flushing out any impurities that may have entered them.
However, baking soda is also an antiseptic which is helpful to kill the infection-causing microbes present in and around your eyes.
You just need to take 1 teaspoon baking soda, water, and a cup that can fit around your eye. Now add baking soda in the water.
Then, hold your eye over this water and try to keep it open for as long as possible. And rinse out the baking soda water remnants with clean water.
You can repeat this once in a day until you get rid of the pain in eyes or any infection.
Potato is a king of vegetables. It is easily available in every household. However, apart from enhancing the taste of many dishes, it can also help to reduce pain in eyes or eye inflammation.
Furthermore, its antimicrobial properties are responsible for this effect. It also helps to soothe the irritated skin and lightens darkness around the eyes.
You just need a potato and a cotton pad. First, peel and grate the potato and squeeze out the juice and pour it over the cotton pad.
Then place the soaked cotton pad on your eyes for approx 15 minutes. You can try this regularly to get rid of eye pain or infection.